Cheesecake is a classic dessert. This baked version is succulent and tasty. I've made it for quite a few dinner parties and never have any leftover!
100g Digestive biscuits
75g Amaretti biscuits
50g soft brown sugar
50g ground almonds
4 eggs separated
200g cream cheese
200g ricotta cheese
200g caster sugar
150 ml double cream
1 vanilla pod (or vanilla extract)
Juice and rind of 1 lemon
Pinch of salt
Some icing sugar for dusting afterwards
1. Preheat oven to 160°C (Gas Mark 2).
2. Melt butter in pan. Combine with crushed biscuits, brown sugar and ground almonds.
3. Press mixture into 20 cm (8”) spring bottom tin and chill in fridge.
4. Mix cream cheese, ricotta cheese, lemon juice, lemon rind, vanilla pod seeds, caster sugar, egg yolks and cream.
5. Add salt to egg whites and beat until firm.
6. Gently fold egg whites into cheese mixture and pour onto biscuit layer in the tin.
7. Bake for 30 minutes at 160°C and then increase heat to 170°C (Gas Mark 3) and cook for further 30 minutes or until cheesecake is fairly firm. Ensure there is still a slight wobble to prevent over-cooking it. Once cooked, open oven door and let cheesecake cool inside.
8. When cool, serve cheesecake with a dusting of icing sugar.